StartUpAfrica’s Entrepreneurship Awards
StartUpAfrica’s Entrepreneurship Awards is an annual gathering which celebrates and recognizes our best and brightest entrepreneurs who have contributed significantly towards the development of entrepreneurship. The awards recognize entrepreneurial achievement, contribution, and the demonstration of the true entrepreneurial spirit, and are vital to future economic development and prosperity and ensure that entrepreneurs are encouraged and cultivated. Outstanding businesses or individual entrepreneurs are in the running for recognition. Join us in helping honor and celebrate their entrepreneurial achievements during the Business & Entrepreneurship Awards Gala on Saturday, October 7, 2017.
Nomination and Evaluation
- Eligible candidates may be nominated by anyone; entrepreneurs may self-nominate themselves as well.
- Each applicant must complete a self-nomination form and send it to us by Sep 7, 2017.
- Local, national and international companies, firms or businesses are eligible to apply. Applicants can apply for one or multiple categories.
- Nomination forms should be sent along with the required fees. The nominees in each category will be presented to the Award Selection Judges for determination of winners.
- Evaluation and selection of winners will be done in two phases; StartUpAfrica may use online polling to support the Award Selection Judges’ decision.
- All information received as part of the application will be treated confidentially and not used for any purpose except to determine the award winners.
- Incomplete questionnaires will disqualify participants from participating in the awards.
- Right to permit participation is reserved with StartUpAfrica’s Awards Sub-Committee.
Awards Selection Criteria
During the awards Gala we honor the 2017 deserving entrepreneurs with different awards in the entrepreneur community.
In considering the selection of award winners, StartUpAfrica’s Award Selection Judges will use the following criteria:
- Creation of a business that has expanded outside the local area: regional, national or international in scope and scalability
- Innovation (leadership, products, services, etc.)
- Creation of jobs over time
- Economic impact and growth (in sales, profits, wealth creation, etc.)
- Impact on market or industry
- Contributions beyond company (professional, personal, community, educational, etc.)
- Lifetime Achievement
Applicant / nominee should have had outstanding achievements and should also have contributed significantly towards the socio-economic growth over a period of time.
- Entrepreneur of the Year (6 Categories)
- Consumer Business: A business owner or founder of an organization directly offering or retailing consumer products or services to consumers
- Entrepreneur of the Year: A business owner who has achieved remarkable success in his/her entrepreneurial venture
- Innovation in Financial and Business Services: A business owner /founder who is into providing financial and related services
- Innovation in Technology: A business owner or founder of an organization whose business is into IT products or services (hardware/software)
- Manufacturing: A business owner or founder whose business is in the manufacturing of product
- Trading: A business owner or founder of an organization who is into trading / distribution (product/ service)
- Family Entrepreneur of the Year: Established entrepreneur from a family run business who has been able to grow the business to a scalable height
- Innovative Start-up of the Year: Business owner or founder of an organization that has developed a unique business model and made remarkable progress in the initial period of starting the business. (Business should be between 1 year old and less than 5 years old)
- Professional Entrepreneur of the Year: An employee of an organization that has demonstrated leadership and taken the business growth to a scalable size
- Woman Entrepreneur of the Year: A woman business owner who has achieved remarkable success in her entrepreneurial venture
- Young Entrepreneur of the Year: A business owner who has achieved significantly in his entrepreneurial venture at a young age (must be less than 30 years of age or less as of August 31, 2017)
- Social Entrepreneur of the Year
Business founder or owner of an organization in a business that directly or indirectly creates social awareness or improvement.
- Serial Entrepreneur of the Year: Entrepreneur for creating and demonstrating multiple ventures successfully- from business ideation, implementing it through new venture , creating value for stakeholders, having floated IPO or raised external capital at a later stage ; demonstrating exceptional success and has the will and spirit to do it all again.